Thursday, February 28, 2019

DEATHSTROKE BY: Michael, Huet, Ramirez, & Magnaye

I ran across this dazzling bit of Deathstroke artwork and thought, "Hey, that would be perfect for DEATHSTROKE BY feature of my blog." But after researching the art credits, I found myself down a virtual rabbit hole that not only illustrates the process of comic book art but also introduced me to a quartet of super-talented artists from the Philippines.

The first image below shows the penciling for a stunning Deathstroke action pose by comic book artist, Heubert Khan Michael. You may be familiar with his work from Dynamite Entertainment's Vampirella (2011) and their Project Superpowers miniseries, The Owl (2013), or from Blackbox Comics'  I.T.: The Secret World of Modern Banking 2 (2018). But as I kept digging, I found that Michael's pencil work had been finished by a score of different artists. Check out Heubert Khan Michael's DeviantArt gallery here.

Pencils by Heubert Khan Michael

In the next image, veteran inker, Jeffery Huet, added inks to Micheal's pencils. Some of Huet's work can be seen in Marvel Comics' Iron Man (2005) #s 27-32, numerous issues in the "Planet Hulk" story from The Incredible Hulk (2000), as well as five issues of DC Comics New 52 Animal Man (2011), #s 4-8. Check out Huet's DeviantArt gallery here.

Pencils by Heubert Khan Michael, Inks by Jeffrey Huet

The fully inked image has been finished by Levy Ramirez. Ramirez's other coloring work can be seen in Advent Comics' Chamber of Terror (2018) #1. Check out Ramirez's DeviantArt gallery here. 

Pencils by Heubert Khan Michael, inks by Jeffrey Huet, colors by
Levy Ramirez

Michael's penciled image was also finished by a color artist, Bryan Arfel Magnaye, who is known for his work on numerous independent comics, including Red Anvil Comics' War of the Independents (2011) # 2.5. Check out his DeviantArt gallery here.

Pencils by Heubert Khan Micheal, inks and colors by
Bryan Arfel Magnaye

I'm not sure if anyone else has finished the pencil and ink work in addition to the pieces I've found. If I run across any more, I'll add them as an update to this post.